Our academic coaches are full-time professionals who meet with Aggies one-to-one or in small groups. Coaches work in partnership with students to help them improve their academic performance. Like an athletic coach or a personal trainer, the academic coach identifies your strengths and weaknesses and individualizes appropriate activities. To make a coaching appointment, read the instructions, below.
Coaches Help Students of All Success Levels
- become self-regulated learners;
- understand and use effective, individualized learning strategies;
- identify and overcome obstacles that may be impeding academic success;
- focus on goals and identify steps to reaching those goals;
- develop strong time-management and organization skills;
- find the motivation to take ownership of their academic trajectory;
- monitor progress;
- refer students, as needed, to other academic services on campus such as academic advising, personal or career counseling, or tutoring.
What to Expect from Your Coaching Session
Initial coaching appointments typically last 45 minutes. At the first appointment, the coach assesses your needs and makes recommendations. The coach may recommend follow-up appointments, referrals to academic support services, and assignments designed to develop effective learning strategies or time management skills. If follow-up sessions are needed, the coach monitors your progress and works with you to create and develop success strategies.
In addition to our location in the ASC, academic coaching is available for Aggie veterans at the VRSC. Veterans scheduling an appointment at the VRSC will meet with an academic coach who is also a veteran.
Make a Coaching Appointment
- Go to Navigate.
- Make sure to select the correct “semester/term” at the top right of the page (Ex. Fall 2021).
- Access “Schedule an Appointment” blue Banner on right side of the page.
- Select “Advising Texas A&M University” as the appointment type.
- Under "ASC – Academic Success Center", select the service as either “Academic Coaching Initial Appointment" or "Military Veteran Initial Coaching Appointment.”
- Pick a date from the menu then click Find Available Time.
- You then have the option to search different days and choose preferred Staff Members by name, Mode (either in-person or Virtual (Zoom)), and Locations (Rudder Tower 9th floor or VRSC). Otherwise, choose the first available spot.
- Once your appointment day/time is chosen, be sure to click the final “Schedule” button to book the appointment.