Become an SI Leader
If you are interested in applying for a position for Spring 2023, read the following information on this page, the article about SI (linked below) and complete the application located at the bottom of this page. Interviews for this position will start Mid-November.
Supplemental Instruction (SI) is a peer-led academic assistance program meant to improve students’ academic performance and increase retention. SI Leaders are responsible for facilitating peer study sessions for their assigned course.
The purpose of the SI Leader position is to support students in successfully reaching their academic goals in the SIL’s assigned course(s) close collaboration with their faculty partner. SI Leaders create collaborative and engaging review sessions that provide students with transferable study tools and skills that they can duplicate later when studying independently.
SI Leaders will be able to
- Think critically about course content and how they understand it
- Discuss course content in multiple ways to reach a variety of student needs
- Feel comfortable speaking in front of groups and facilitating activities
- Demonstrate the use of effective study tools and strategies that align with current research on the science of learning
- Effectively refer students to appropriate campus resources
- Grade of A or B in the selected courses taken at the University
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above
- Currently enrolled as an undergraduate student at Texas A&M University
- Availability to attend all scheduled lectures for the course
- Availability to work approximately 10-12 hours per week, including evenings
- Good interpersonal communication skills
- A passion for helping fellow Aggies learn and succeed
- Expert time management skills and ability to commit to a chosen schedule
Course Selection on the Application
If you have earned an A or a B in multiple courses where we offer SI, we encourage you to select multiple courses on the application.
Pay & Hours
Hours: up to 11 hrs/week
Typical Weekly Duties
- Attend assigned course lecture(s) – 3 hrs.
- Hold 3 SI sessions – 3 hrs.
- Session planning and adminsitrative time – up to 4 hrs.
- Participate in ongoing training – 1 hr.
- Submit required paperwork
- Complete University TrainTraq online trainings – 2 hrs.
- Attend mandatory 2 day pre-semester training – 12 hrs.
- Complete 2 peer session observations – 3 hrs.
- Other projects or duties as discussed and assigned
- Get paid to help other students succeed
- Establish professional relationships with faculty, TAs, and ASC staff
- Develop and sharpen leadership, academic, and team work skills
- Add student leadership experience to your resume and as a discussion point in job/graduate school interviews
Mandatory Pre-Semester Training
- Fall 2022 mandatory pre-semester training dates: August 22nd and 23rd
- If hired, you must attend pre-semester training
- Plan to be in training for up to 8 hours or 9-5 each day
SI Leader Application
Thank you for your interest in becoming an SI Leader. Below is the three step application process:
Fill out the initial application below. You will need the article linked below to answer some of the questions. Please read this article prior to completing the application.
SI Leader Application Article
Based on your application submission, you may be contacted to set up a one-on-one interview.
Hiring decisions will be made at the conclusion of all interviews.
State law requires that you be informed of the following: (1) you are entitled to request to be informed about the information about yourself collected by use of this form (with a few exceptions as provided by law); (2) you are entitled to receive and review that information; and (3) you are entitled to have the information corrected at no charge to you.
The application will ask you to select courses in which you want to be an SI Leader and in which you have made an A/B in the course. We cannot guarantee openings in a particular course or that your schedule would fit the open positions we need to fill. We recommend that you select multiple courses. You may select up to five different courses.
**In preparation for the application, please read this short article to answer several questions below.
For additional information, contact Naya Nwadialo, email@example.com, Program Assistant for SI and Tutoring at (979) 458-4900.