Become an SI Leader
Application for Fall 2021 is open.
Read the descriptions below and follow the "Apply Here" link at the bottom of the page.
Supplemental Instruction (SI) is a peer-led academic assistance program meant to improve students’ academic performance and increase retention. SI Leaders are responsible for facilitating peer study sessions for their assigned course.
The purpose of the SI Leader position is to support students in successfully reaching their academic goals in the SIL’s assigned course(s) close collaboration with their faculty partner. SI Leaders create collaborative and engaging review sessions that provide students with transferable study tools and skills that they can duplicate later when studying independently.
SI Leaders will be able to
- Think critically about course content and how they understand it
- Discuss course content in multiple ways to reach a variety of student needs
- Feel comfortable speaking in front of groups and facilitating activities
- Demonstrate the use of effective study tools and strategies that align with current research on the science of learning
- Effectively refer students to appropriate campus resources
- Currently enrolled as an undergraduate student at Texas A&M University
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above
- Grade of A or B in the selected courses taken at the University
- Availability to attend all scheduled lectures for the course
- Availability to work approximately 10-12 hours per week, including evenings
- Good interpersonal communication skills
- A passion for helping fellow Aggies learn and succeed
- Expert time management skills and ability to commit to a chosen schedule
Pay & Hours
Hours: up to 11 hrs/week
Typical Weekly Duties
- Attend assigned course lecture(s) – 3 hrs.
- Hold 2-3 SI review sessions – 3 hrs.
- Meet with your SI professor – up to 1 hr.
- Plan and prepare for SI sessions – up to 3 hrs.
- Participate in ongoing training – 1 hr.
- Submit required paperwork
- Complete University TrainTraq online trainings – 2 hrs.
- Attend mandatory 2 day pre-semester training – 12 hrs.
- Complete 2 peer session observations – 3 hrs.
- Other projects or duties as discussed and assigned
- Get paid to help other students succeed
- Establish professional relationships with faculty, TAs, and ASC staff
- Develop and sharpen leadership, academic, and team work skills
- Add student leadership experience to your resume and as a discussion point in job/graduate school interviews
Mandatory Pre-semester training
- Fall 2021 pre-semester training dates: August 25 & 26
- If hired, you must be able to attend pre-semester training
- Plan to be in training for up to 8 hours or 9-5 each day
For additional information, contact Naya Nwadialo, email@example.com, Program Assistant for SI and Tutoring at (979) 458-4900.