Our academic coaches are full-time professionals who meet with Aggies one-to-one or in small groups. Coaches work in partnership with students to help them improve their academic performance. Like an athletic coach or a personal trainer, the academic coach identifies your strengths and weaknesses and individualizes appropriate activities. To make a coaching appointment, read the instructions, below.
Coaches Help Students of All Success Levels
- become self-regulated learners;
- understand and use effective, individualized learning strategies;
- identify and overcome obstacles that may be impeding academic success;
- focus on goals and identify steps to reaching those goals;
- develop strong time-management and organization skills;
- find the motivation to take ownership of their academic trajectory;
- monitor progress;
- refer students, as needed, to other academic services on campus such as academic advising, personal or career counseling, or tutoring.
What to Expect from Your Coaching Session
Initial coaching appointments typically last 45 minutes. At the first appointment, the coach assesses your needs and recommends a success plan. The success plan may include follow-up appointments, referrals to academic support services, and assignments designed to develop effective learning strategies or time management skills. If follow-up sessions are needed, the coach monitors your progress and works with you to create and develop success strategies.
In addition to our location in the ASC, academic coaching is available for Aggie veterans at the VRSC. Veterans scheduling an appointment at the VRSC will meet with an academic coach who is also a veteran.
Make a Coaching Appointment
- Go to Navigate.
- Make sure to select the correct “semester/term” at the top right of the page (Ex. Fall 2019).
- Access “Get Assistance” Banner on right side of the page.
- Select “Advising Texas A&M University” as the appointment type.
- Select "ASC" as the college/reason for appointment type.
- Select the specific reason for the visit as either “Academic Coaching Initial Appointment" or "Veteran Initial Coaching Appointment.”
- For everyone except veterans, choose the location: 9th floor Rudder Tower (for appointments between 8am and 5pm) or 10th floor Rudder Tower (for appointments that begin 5pm or later). Veterans can choose VRSC or Rudder Tower.
- Pick appointment by First Available in a preferred block of time or First Available by Specific Coaching Staff Member (if known or preferred).